Thursday, October 11, 2012

Beauty.

I sat at the kitchen table with a sweet five year old girl from my Mom's daycare.
    The mail had just come in, and seeing that I had a few minutes alone with her, I handed her the Norstrom catalog. A simple but great pleasure for a young girl who loves fashion. I picked up the JCPenney catalog, and started to admire one such model in a pair of skinny jeans and a v neck blouse.
    Her face was beautiful. Her body size: Not even that of a twig. I looked longingly at the Emerald green jeans, thinking how much they would satisfy my funky fashion sense. "J," I exclaimed, "Look at those jeans! They are so cute!" She flashed a smile and a quick "Yes! SO CUTE!"
    "They are," I say, "But she makes them look good, I'm not as beau-" I stopped my sentence. I had to think.
   Was I really saying what I was about to? What would this teach this precious piece of perfection if I really concluded that sentence how I planned to?
These thoughts raced through my mind. Do I really want to teach her that beauty means being a size two, nice complexion, thick hair...

You see, Society has this funny thing for the word beauty. It's fixed. Rigged. Jacked. Who created beauty anyway? Not Society. I know that.
 
"For we are God's masterpiece. He created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."
Ephesians 2:10
   We are his MASTERPIECE! Imagine that. The artist of artists. The Creator of everything. The Start. WE are his masterpiece!
   " ...so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago."- He created us the way we are so we can follow his plan!

    So as I abruptly ended my sentence, I immediately corrected myself. "I was about to say beautiful, J. But we are all beautiful, right!? God made us just how we are. And that means we are beautiful!" She nodded in agreement.
    No matter who you are, whether you are loud, quiet, have long hair,a bald head, big thumbs, small noses, eleven toes....

YOU are God's masterpiece. He created you exactly how you are so that you can be a part of something bigger. His Plan.

You are a child of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment